The Association for Specialist Fire Protection Foundation Course in Passive Fire Protection provides essential knowledge and understanding in this key fire protection specialism.
The content of the training embeds current best practice and draws on the technical expertise provided by the ASFP. It aims to equip candidates with the knowledge required to demonstrate competency, while also offering a route for progression and academic recognition in this key fire protection specialism.
The training courses are the first in the UK and Ireland to enable candidates to study to obtain a recognised qualification in passive fire protection. Individuals who undertake the training will have the opportunity to progress to new Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications in Passive Fire Protection provided by the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE), a nationally and internationally recognised awarding organisation regulated by the qualification regulators Ofqual.
The new qualifications have been developed in partnership between the ASFP and the IFE specifically to align to the new training programme and to provide recognition of individuals who have attained the essential knowledge and understanding to work efficiently and safely in passive fire protection roles.
The scheme is suitable for all involved in the construction industry from designers and specifiers to contractors and specialist installers. It is also suitable for building owner occupiers and enforcement agencies.
The training is delivered by experienced passive fire protection experts in a series of 1-day lectures ranged over several weeks.
The course offers a foundation in fire safety and fire science as well as units on different forms of passive fire protection and is structured in four modules:
- Module 1: Essential underpinning knowledge, fire science
- Module 2: Installation of Passive Fire Protection:
- Unit 1: Fire protection to the structural frame of the building, Fire retardant coatings
- Unit 2: Fire resisting walls, floors and ceiling and fire resistant glazing
- Unit 3: Fire stopping, penetration seals, cavity barriers, ductwork and dampers and the building envelope
- Unit 4: Fire resisting doors, industrial shutters and hardware
- Module 3 : Understanding active fire protection
- Module 4: Understanding building regulations, approved documentation, regulatory guidance, CDM, CE marking and codes of practice, and BIM
This high level course offers a foundation in fire safety and fire science as well as units on the full range of passive fire protection systems. This is the knowledge that will equip delegates to study towards the IFE Level 3 certificate in passive fire protection qualification.
Learners who obtain the IFE Level 3 Certificate are eligible to apply to join the IFE at Technician level enabling them to gain professional recognition in the global fire sector and use the post nominal TIFireE.
7 days of lectures, ranged over several weeks.
3-hour written examination
- Managers and technical supervisors working in passive fire protection roles
- Technical sales staff
- Inspectors & enforcement officers
- Fire Risk Assessors
This intermediate level course offers a foundation in fire safety and fire science and provides units on a selected range of passive fire protection systems. This is the knowledge that will equip delegates to study towards the IFE Level 2 Certificate in passive fire protection.
4 days of lectures, ranged over several weeks
Candidates will select only TWO passive fire protection units from Module 2
1.5-hour written examination
- Team leaders/senior installers working in passive fire protection roles
- Technical sales staff